The OFA administers the Film Classification Act, 2005 (FCA), which regulates film and video game distribution and exhibition including movie theatres, film, video and video game distributors, and retailers. The OFA also oversees and provides administrative services to support the Ontario Film Review Board.
For general information on licensing and film classification and approvals:
- General Requirements re Film Distribution and Exhibition
- Information Bulletin: Adult Sex Film Stickers
- Addendum to the Information Bulletin: Adult Sex Film Stickers- Stickers issued August 31, 2005
For a full list of the OFA’s fees, including licensing fees, please consult the Minister's Order made under the FCA. Submit a completed application form with the appropriate fee to the Ontario Film Authority by email, fax, or mail.
Attn: Ontario Film Authority
Ontario Film Authority
4950 Yonge Street, Suite 101B
Toronto ON M2N 6K1
Licensing Requirements and Qualifications
- Applicants must complete all questions on the application form and include the required payment (Visa; Mastercard; American Express; cash, cheque or money order payable to the Ontario Film Authority). A surcharge applies to all returned cheques.
- Individuals must be at least 18 years of age.
Applicants are entitled to licensing, unless:
- the applicant or the applicant’s directors, officers or other prescribed persons is/are carrying on activities that are (or would be if issued a licence) in contravention of the FCA, its regulations or a municipal by-law; or
- the past conduct of the applicant or the applicant’s officers, directors or other prescribed persons affords reasonable grounds to believe that the applicant or the business will not carry on business in accordance with this FCA or the regulations;
- the application includes a false statement;
- the application is in breach of a licence condition.
Persons are not required to be licensed under the Film Classification Act, 2005 if they only distribute video and computer games and no other types of film.
To avoid licensing delays please review the Licence Application Checklist when submitting your application for licensing or renewal and ensure the correct and complete information is included.
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the OFA as follows:
Phone: 416-224-8000 ext. 102
Toll Free: 1-844-229-8009
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: How to complete page 1 – section 3 of the following licence application forms
- 001-2015: Application for Licence New and Renewal - Film Classification Act, 2005
- 002-2015: Application for Retailer Licence Renewal – Short Form (Used to renew Class A and some Class B Retailer licences provided there has been no change in the information previously reported to the Registrar)