Note - As we are transitioning to a new database, the film classification search function does not include films classified after September 11, 2018 and the licensing search function does not include licences issued after August 31, 2018. In the interim, please contact email@example.com or LimitedAndDoc@ontariofilmauthority.ca for any enquiries related to film ratings, or firstname.lastname@example.org for all licensing related questions.
Forms : Licensing Forms
Note - We are transitioning to a new database and licences will be processed in the order they were received. Please bear with us as we address our backlog. If you have submitted your licence renewal and you are concerned that your current licence has expired, please rest assured that we have noted it and you can continue to you use your expired licence until we process your renewal. For any questions related to licensing, please contact email@example.com.
The OFA administers the Film Classification Act, 2005 (FCA), which regulates film and video game distribution and exhibition including movie theatres, film, video and video game distributors, and retailers. The OFA also oversees and provides administrative services to support the Ontario Film Review Board.
For general information on licensing and film classification and approvals:
- General Requirements re Film Distribution and Exhibition
- Information Bulletin: Adult Sex Film Stickers
- Addendum to the Information Bulletin: Adult Sex Film Stickers- Stickers issued August 31, 2005
For a full list of the OFA’s fees, including licensing fees, please consult the Minister's Order made under the FCA. Submit a completed application form with the appropriate fee to the Ontario Film Authority by email, fax, or mail.
Attn: Ontario Film Authority
Ontario Film Authority
40 Sheppard Avenue West, Suite 400
Toronto ON M2N 6K9
Licensing Requirements and Qualifications
- Applicants must complete all questions on the application form and include the required payment (Visa; Mastercard; American Express; cash, cheque or money order payable to the Ontario Film Authority). A surcharge applies to all returned cheques.
- Individuals must be at least 18 years of age.
Applicants are entitled to licensing, unless:
- the applicant or the applicant’s directors, officers or other prescribed persons is/are carrying on activities that are (or would be if issued a licence) in contravention of the FCA, its regulations or a municipal by-law; or
- the past conduct of the applicant or the applicant’s officers, directors or other prescribed persons affords reasonable grounds to believe that the applicant or the business will not carry on business in accordance with this FCA or the regulations;
- the application includes a false statement;
- the application is in breach of a licence condition.
Persons are not required to be licensed under the Film Classification Act, 2005 if they only distribute video and computer games and no other types of film.
To avoid licensing delays, please review the Licensing Application Checklist (on page 1 of application forms 001-2015 and 002-2015 below) when submitting your application for licensing or renewal and ensure the correct and complete information is included.
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the OFA as follows:
Phone: 416-224-8000 ext. 102
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: How to complete page 1 – section 3 of the following licence application forms
- 001 - Application for Licence New and Renewal - Film Classification Act, 2005
- 002 - Application for Retailer Licence Renewal – Short Form
Form 002-2015 may be used by:
- all Class "A" Retailers
- Class "B" Retailers if there are no changes to the previous information submitted and selling/renting
of Adult Sex Films is incidental to the primary business